Fate War: Alliance
by E.M. Havens
Genre: Sci Fi Romance / Steampunk
Published: February 25th 2013
Publisher: E.M. Havens
Prince Cole meets Samantha when she walks down the aisle. Though she seems like the polished women he is familiar with, there is something different. She is complicated and full of mystery. Her dowry comes with a promise of air ships and mech capable of defense against their common enemy and for his country to survive, he must unravel her secrets. It is only when each accepts their destinies can they save their people from the plans of the Fate Sovereign.
“King Arnold, a pleasure.”
Samantha curtsied low, holding the layers of her blue, lace trimmed dress up from the floor. The handmaid had done a tremendous job of tightening her corset. Multi-colored stars popped before her eyes with the movement.
“None of that now. We’re family.” The King’s kind voice and hand guiding her back up put her at ease. He stood in the doorway of her and Cole’s bedchambers. Images of him in red coattails flashed into her mind, and she pushed them back. Today, he wore a grey morning coat, complete with a red striped waistcoat and ascot. The ruby eyes and toothy grin of a gold dragon head peaked at her from the crook of his arm where his cane rested.
He took her hand, kissing the gloved fingers, then wrapped them around his elbow to lead her to the balcony. “And how are you this morning daughter-in-law?”
“I’m well. Thank you for asking, King Arnold. And you?”
“Doing well, my dear.” He patted her hand as they reached the balcony where Cole stood, fidgeting with his tawny waistcoat. Under her fingers, Samantha felt the King tense. He and Cole nodded to each other, but no words were exchanged in salutation. Cole pulled out her chair, and both men helped her settle for their family breakfast. As the men took their seats, they continually eyed each other, like one expecting a tame tiger to turn man eater at any moment.
Thankfully, the servants began uncovering today’s dishes, and the men were distracted by bacon.
Buy the Book
Five MORE things you don’t know about E.M. Havens
1. I’m a musical genius. – Okay, not really. But I am the only person in the history of my college alma mater to test out of the first two semesters of Music Theory and Sight Singing. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science and Music. I know, an English major would have made more sense…but I hate English.
2. I write music. – Music has been a passion of mine since I can remember. I started playing piano by ear when I was five. As soon as I learned to write enough words to make a poem, I started writing lyrics. My first delve into novel writing came at a time when I had no access to my instruments for months at a time. I always try to include something musical in my novels.
3. I’ve seen over 20 babies born. – One of my past passions was being a Doula. Doula means servant of woman. I accompanied birthing mothers while in labor to help them achieve their goals, no matter what their goals might be. Most of the time that was a natural labor, but not always. Having an advocate in one of the most emotional and vulnerable times in your life can be quite helpful.
4. I was a Country and Western singer. – Well, I was a local celebrity anyway. I sang at all of the Oprys within a day’s driving from Dallas. I even once sang at a Janie Frickie’s garden party. Though I miss the notoriety, fringe and tight jeans, I felt my life needed to take a different path. My family is convinced I could have been something big. I’m glad I avoided that lifestyle. I struggle with depression and music has always really affected my emotional state. Frankly, Country music, for the most part, is not uplifting and that’s not good for my outlook.
5. I am married to my best friend, love of my life, soul mate. – My love and I will be celebrating fifteen years of marriage in May and looking forward to eternity with each other. We met online in 1997…dial-up style. No one thought we would make it past our whirlwind romance, engagement and marriage, but I love him more today than I did then. Just knowing him makes me a better person.
About the Author
Who is E.M. Havens? I’m a lot of things. The word that seems to define me most at the moment is mom. It can be all consuming. Not only am I a mom of three (one of them is a teenager…pity me), but I also home-school (pity me more). I share this awesome responsibility with the love of my life, best friend, and soul-mate husband.
Add to that, the twenty-five chickens, twelve turkeys, ten guineas, nine pigs, three barn cats, two Great Pyrenees guardian dogs, a Chihuahua, a house cat, and a goose, it makes for one crazy, full, and certainly entertaining life.
Somewhere in there I find the time to write. I started out young writing poems, then moved on to songs. I actually have a Bachelor in Music with a secondary in Science because I can’t stand English. Yes, the writer hates English. I like to read the story for the experience of reading the story, not to nitpick each letter and comma. But I digress.
I eventually found blogging and really enjoyed sharing my life that way. When an unfortunate turn of events separated me from my music equipment, I decided to use my overactive imagination, my love of reading, and my new found hobby, prose writing, to release some of my creative energy. I wrote my first novel and loved the experience. Fate War: Alliance is actually the second novel I wrote and the first to be published. Now I’m working on my third and several sequels to Fate War!
So that’s pretty much me, sitting in the Arbuckle Mountains of Oklahoma, reading, writing, collecting eggs from the coop, and being a schoolmarm. It’s a pretty great life.
The Author is giving away a $25 Amazon Gift Card and 3 eBooks.